DAR-ES-SALAAM (Arabic Dār-es-Salām), APOSTOLIC VICARIATE OF. — This African mission (Tanganyika) was established as an Apostolic Prefecture on 16 November 1887 with territory detached from Zanzibar (q.v.), named Southern Zanzibar, and entrusted to the German Benedictines of St Ottilien; on 10 August 1906 it was elevated to an Apostolic Vicariate under its present name.
During the native uprising of 1905, besides the bishop, one priest, four lay brothers and four sisters were massacred. In 1913, the new Apostolic Prefecture of Lindi was detached to the south, now the abbazia nullius of Peramiho (q.v.). Following the war of 1914–18, the German missionaries were repatriated, and in 1921 the vicariate was entrusted to the Swiss Capuchins, who still administer II. In 1921 the eastern portion formed the new Apostolic Prefecture of Iringa (q.v.), entrusted to the Consolata Fathers. The mission covers an area of 130,000 sq km and has a population of half a million, of whom more than 340,000 are Muslims, 110,000 pagans, and 3,400 Protestants. Catholics number 30,000 and catechumens 6,476. The missionaries (1948) are 51 priests, 43 lay brothers and 54 sisters; they are assisted by 244 catechists and 203 teachers. The primary schools (60) have 6,322 pupils, the single secondary school has 100 students, and the other schools (6) educate about 700 pupils. There are also orphanages, asylums for the elderly and lepers.
Dar-ES-SALAM — View of the port.
CARIATO APOSTOLICO, APOSTOLIC VICARIATE OF. — The mission of D. is situated in the south-eastern part of Panama and comprises the entire less civilized zone of the country. Evangelization was begun in the early years of the 16th century by some Dominicans, to whom were later added the Capuchins and Jesuits, who had to withdraw because of Indian hostility and the favour shown to Protestants by the civil authorities. At the end of the 18th century, with the cessation of persecution, the Augustinians returned. The Apostolic Vicariate was erected on 29 November 1925 by separation from the archdiocese of Panama and entrusted to the Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Claretians).
The population is estimated at about 113,000 scattered over a territory of 28,010 sq km. Catholics number 64,000, Protestants 20,500, pagans 22,000, Jews, Moslems and Eastern dissidents 6,500. The missionary personnel consists of 25 Claretian priests, 13 lay brothers and 56 sisters. The vicariate is divided into two districts, six parishes, three primary stations and 46 secondary stations. There are 22 churches and 24 chapels. Catholic schools are distributed as follows: 18 elementary with 2,280 pupils; two intermediate with 125 pupils; two secondary with 960 pupils. Among the works of assistance are a hospital, orphanages, a leper colony and an asylum. Two magazines are printed: El Faro and Buen Pastor, each with a circulation of 1,000 copies.