FIGLIE DELL'MMACOLATA CONCEZIONE DELLA BEATA MARIA VERGINE

Daughters of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Institute began in Rome in 1854, where two Polish noblewomen, Giuseppina Karska and Marcellina Darowska, under the guidance of M. Kaysiewicz, began a common life with two others who had meanwhile joined them. Thus arose a small community which in 1859 obtained permission to wear a distinctive habit.

After 1860 the work began to develop slowly, and in 1863 it received a decree of praise. Transferred to Poland at Sastowice, in the diocese of Lviv, it was subject to the political vicissitudes of that time, but continued to prosper slowly so that in 1874 it obtained the decree of final approval, and twelve years later that of temporary approval of its constitutions, which were definitively approved in 1899 and revised again on 24 November 1925.

After the death of Darowska (1911), the Institute passed through a long and laborious period of adjustment, aggravated by the war, which ended with the direct intervention of the Holy See in 1935.

In 1947 it had 11 houses and 293 sisters.

The purpose of the Institute is the free education of young women and manual work.

BIBL.: M. Heimbucher, *Die Orden und Kongregationen der Katholischen Kirche*, II, Paderborn 1934, p. 516; Arch. S. Congr. de’ Religiosi, R. 18. Agostino Pullese