KIMBERLEY NELL'AUSTRALIA OCCIDENTALE, VICARATO APOSTOLICO DI

Kimberley in Western Australia, Apostolic Vicariate of

It was erected on 10 May 1887 under the name of the Apostolic Vicariate of Kimberley with territory taken from the diocese, now archdiocese, of Perth, and entrusted to the Benedictines, who were never able to assume care of II. When the diocese of Geraldton was erected in 1898, it was provisionally annexed to that see.

In 1890 some Trappists had already opened a mission at Disaster Bay, which they later moved to Beagle Bay. At the beginning of this century the German Pallottines went there and, assisted by the Sisters of St John of God, achieved good results among the Aboriginal people. During the World War it was governed by Fr. Creagh, a Redemptorist. From 1923 to 1928 the Salesians worked there; the Pallottines then returned definitively. In 1918 it took its present name. There are 5 missionary stations, 7 churches, 6 religious priests; 9 brothers, 26 sisters, 1 leprosarium, 3 charitable works, 3 elementary schools with 190 pupils. Of the 19,000 inhabitants, Catholics number 1,100, including Aborigines.

BIBL.: Australasian Catholic Directory Sydney, 1948, pp. 307-308; Centenary of the Catholic Church in Western Australia 1846-1946 (no pagination). Saverio Paventi