**DAUGHTERS OF MARY MISSIONARIES** (Apulania). - The Institute was founded by the Cremonese priest Giacinto Bianchi in 1875 in Pigna (diocese of Ventimiglia) with the assent of the local Ordinary. The generalate remained in Pigna until 1901, when it moved to the diocese of Mantua and subsequently to S. Paolo d’Enza (Reggio Emilia) in 1915 and to the diocese of Massa in 1919. St. John Bosco took occasional interest in it at its beginnings and conveyed a special blessing from Pius IX. The decree of praise with temporary approval of the constitutions dates to 1934. Final approval of the constitutions was granted on 26 January 1942.
The houses are scattered throughout Italy and France. The sisters engage in the instruction and education of the daughters of the people, through infant schools, orphanages, workshops, and similar means. They also lend their service in seminaries, colleges, etc. In 1947 there were 35 houses and 216 sisters.