MARTINO G

**MARTINO G. O'CONNOR**

**II. ARMENIAN, PONTIFICAL.** — Two attempts to establish it, made by Gregory XIII in the 16th century and by some Armenian merchants in the 17th, proved unsuccessful. Armenian students were together with others in the Urban College of Propaganda. Once again, God did not grant the realization of the idea, which was proposed anew in 1867 by a synod of Armenian bishops. Finally, Leo XIII, with the brief *Beninga hominum Parens* (March 1, 1883), erected the college in its present location at Via S. Nicola da Tolentino 17. Recently, a new building has been constructed. The college is entrusted to the secular clergy. Its rules were confirmed by the Sacred Congregation for the Eastern Church in 1929. The students attend the Pontifical Gregorian University. Ignazio Ortiz de Urbina

**III. BEDA, PONTIFICAL.** — Founded by Leo XIII, the Pontifical Beda College is unique of its kind and admits and prepares for the priesthood those who have received a vocation at an advanced age. The minimum age for admission is 24 years. Every profession is represented among its students, and many of them may have belonged to other Churches before obtaining the gift of faith in the Catholic Church.

At its inception, the Pontifical Beda College was located in the venerable English College at Via Monserrato 45 in Rome; but for about 25 years it has had its own premises at Via S. Nicola da Tolentino 67. The college has accommodation for 54 students. The constitutions issued by the Sacred Congregation of Studies include a special short course for those who cannot attend other universities. Among those who have graduated from the Pontifical Beda College and have brought distinction to it by their names are: Archbishop David Mather, writer and Apostolic Delegate in Africa; Fr. Vernon Johnson, a well-known preacher; and Monsignor George L. Smith, who at one time was a promising figure in the legal profession in the United States.

**IV. BELGIAN, PONTIFICAL.** — In 1843, the rector of the national church of S. Giuliano dei Belgi, Monsignor Aerts, conceived the idea of founding an ecclesiastical college in Rome for young men selected from the seminaries of the six dioceses of Belgium. The idea was welcomed by the bishops and encouraged by the Apostolic Nuncio in Brussels, Monsignor Gioacchino Pecci (later Leo XIII).

In 1846, the convent of SS. Joachim and Anne, belonging to the Spanish Trinitarians, was purchased at Via del Quirinale, and in the same year Monsignor Aerts, as its first rector, presented the first students to Pope Gregory XVI. Among the former students are: Monsignor Kerkhofs, Bishop of Liège; Monsignor Charne, Bishop of Namur; Monsignor Delanotte; Monsignor Himmer, Bishop of Tournai; in March 1949, the rector Monsignor de Fürstenberg was appointed Apostolic Delegate to Japan. Giuseppe De Vroede

**V. CANADIAN, PONTIFICAL.** — In 1886, Cardinal Howard, protector of the Sulpicians, entrusted to Monsignor Colin, superior of the seminary of Montreal, the work of founding the Canadian College, desired by the bishops of Canada, at Via Quattro Fontane. The same Cardinal Howard blessed the first stone on February 24, 1887. On November 11, 1888, the first twelve students entered. Since then, the college has welcomed and formed in the spirit of the Roman Church more than 700 priests, of whom 40 have become bishops, and most have distinguished themselves in their respective dioceses, both in teaching and in the care of souls. The college was granted the title of "pontifical" on May 6, 1932. Currently, 45 priests, belonging to 15 different dioceses, attend courses at the various Roman universities. Paolo Emilio Léger

**VI. CAPRANICA, ALMO.** — It took its name from Cardinal Domenico Capranica, who founded it at Christmas 1456, endowing it by legal act on January 5, 1457, with all his goods. After his death shortly thereafter (August 1458), his brother Angelo took charge of the new foundation, which began its activity in the following years. Although there is evidence of some earlier foundations, the *Sapientia Firmana*, or *Collegium Capranicense* as it was later called, is the first of its kind established in Rome. The founder himself dictated its statutes, desiring it to be open to poor students, born in Rome (reserving places for young men from Fermo, his own diocese), aspiring to the ecclesiastical state, so that they could study theology and canon law at the Roman University. He assigned them his palace at S. Maria in Aquiro and his library, rich in two thousand volumes, and entrusted their legal protection to the three guardians and custodians of the archiconfraternity of the Savior at the Sancta Sanctorum of the Lateran and to the conservators of the city. They had the duty of overseeing administration and discipline and the right to approve the annual appointment of the rector, which was made by the students themselves. These had to be between 15 and 35 years of age, already prepared for study, live in the college, wear clerical dress, receive Holy Orders within three years, and obtain the doctorate within seven years of residence. In the 16th century, they numbered 31. The college, through various vicissitudes and changes in its regulations, lasted until 1798, when it was closed during the Roman Republic. It was reopened in 1807 by Pius VII, who reserved the appointment of the rector to the Pope. The students attend the Gregorian University and provide liturgical service in the Liberian Basilica; in addition to those established by its foundation, it can also accommodate boarders of any nationality. It belonged to the college Benedict XV and, for a short time, also Pius XII, as well as numerous prelates and cardinals.

**VII. See:** *Almi, collegi Capranicensis constitutiones compositae per... card. Dominicum Capranicam*, Rome 1705; G. Moroni, *Dizionario di erudizione storico-ecclesiastica*, XIV, pp. 151-54; Anon., *Regole da osservarsi dagli alunni e concittori dimoranti nell'almo roman collegio C.*, Rome 1867; M. Morupo-Castelnuovo, *Il card. Domenico Capranica*, in *Archivio della Società romana di storia patria*, 52 (1929), pp. 85-116; G. Pelliccia, *La preparazione ed ammissione dei chierici ai santi Ordini nella Roma del sec. XVI*, Rome 1946, pp. 125-40; 303-321. Renata Orazi Ausenda

**VIII. ETHIOPIAN, PONTIFICAL.** — When in 1481 an Ethiopian delegation arrived in Rome, Pope Sixtus IV entrusted the ancient church of S. Stefano behind the apse of St. Peter’s Basilica to Ethiopian monks. From then on, it was called S. Stefano dei Mori.

In the adjoining building, monks from Ethiopia settled, JONA (v.) was famous, and pilgrims from those lands were welcomed. In 1731, the building, which had become almost empty over time, was also assigned to the Copts. The lack of inhabitants continued until 1816. At that time, the Ethiopian monk Giorgio Galabadda was appointed rector of the college. But upon his death (1845), the Discalced Trinitarians took over the building and remained there until 1919. Fr. Camillo Beccari, S.J. (v.) asked Benedict XV to dedicate the house to the education of the Ethiopian secular clergy, which was done provisionally from 1919 and then permanently when Pius XI had a new building constructed in the Vatican gardens instead of the old hospice, which was demolished, and with the constitution *Curis ac laboribus* of February 12, 1930, made it a pontifical college subject to his vicar general for the Vatican and entrusted to the Capuchins of the Eritrean mission. The students attend the college of Propaganda.

**VIII.

BIBL.:** M. Chaine, *Un monastère copte de Rome aux XVe et XVIe siècles*, in *Mélanges de la faculté orientale de Beyrouth*.

VIII. **Germanico-Ungarico, Pontificio.** — Founded by Pope Julius III at the initiative and under the care of St. Ignatius of Loyola on 31 August 1552, for the formation of zealous and faithful priests for Germany and neighboring countries afflicted by heresy. The constitutions drawn up by St. Ignatius himself became a model for the reform of priestly education and for the establishment of seminaries decreed by the Council of Trent.

In 1574 Gregory XIII donated to the college the palace and church of St. Apollinare, which served as its residence for nearly 200 years; later, especially through the efforts of St. Peter Canisius, it received further rich endowments. In 1580 it was united with the Hungarian College (with the church of St. Stephen in the Round). The selection of students from their countries of origin was handled by the nuncios; for a long time preference was given to nobles in order to win back through them the cathedral chapters almost entirely fallen into heresy. After the suppression of the Society of Jesus, the College was also closed in 1798, but later reopened at the Gesù in 1818. During the First World War it moved to Innsbruck. Its present seat, at Via S. Nicola di Tolentino 13, is a large modern building (1940–44); the church, still under construction to a design by architect B. M. Apolloni Ghetti, will be dedicated to St. Peter Canisius.

Among its alumni, numbering about 7,000 to date, there have been 1 pope (Gregory XV), 29 cardinals, 57 archbishops, 330 bishops and other ecclesiastics of great importance (e.g., Cardinals Hergenröther and Scheeben, Carl Sonnenschein, Archbishop Stepinac); 50 students died as martyrs for the faith, two of whom were beatified (Marcus Crisinus and Robert Johnson): a symbol of this spirit of martyrdom is also the red color of the cassock (with black cincture). At present the community, which suffered heavy losses during the war, numbers 80 students (full capacity about 120). The direction is entrusted to the Fathers of the Society of Jesus. Generally, students pursue seven years of philosophy and theology at the Gregorian University.

BIBL.: F. Schröder, *Monumenta quae spectant primordia collegii Germanici-Ungarici*, Rome 1866; A. Steinhuber, *Geschichte des Kollegium Germanicum in Rom*, 2 vols., 2nd ed., Freiburg im Br. 1906; Pastor, VI, 159–61; IX, 171–75. Giacomo Maturi.

IX. **Greco, Pontificio.** — Gregory XIII, by the bull *In Apostolicae Sedis specula* of 13 January 1576, established the college in its present seat at Via del Babuino 149, beside which he had the church of St. Athanasius built. It was Cardinal Santoro, the college’s first protector, who in 1583 gave it its first rules and in 1591 entrusted it to the Society of Jesus with the consent of Gregory XIV. The students were Greeks, but also Slavs, Albanians, Romanians and Melkites.

From 1602 the Jesuits no longer administered the college; its protector, Cardinal Benedetto Giustiniani, called in as collaborators a Somascan and some Dominicans. In 1621, at the request of the principal Greeks resident in Rome, Gregory XV entrusted the administration of the college once more to the Jesuits, who held it until the suppression of their Order (1773). Notable men educated at the college during this period included Allacci, Arcudio and Comnenos Papadopolis. Urban VIII issued definitive rules in 1624, which remained in force for nearly 300 years. From 1773 the college passed under the direct jurisdiction of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith. But in 1803 it was closed for financial reasons and only reopened for 10 students in 1835. The settlement with Austria regarding the property of the former Armenian-Ruthenian College of Leopold somewhat relieved the finances of the Greek College. It was reopened in 1845 with 8 students, almost all Ruthenians. From 1886 the direction passed for a time to secular clergy, and from 1890 again to the Jesuits. When Leo XIII in 1896 erected a separate college for Ruthenians to be entrusted to the Society of Jesus, he called the Benedictines to the Greek College, which they took possession of in 1897. Today it is run by the Belgian Benedictine Congregation. The latest revision of the rules dates to 1923. The students, among whom there are also Albanians and Melkites, attend classes at the Angelicum.

BIBL.: C. Korolevskij, *Les premiers temps de l'histoire du coll. Grec de Rome 1576–1622*, in *Stodion*, 3–4 (1926–30). Ignazio Ortiz de Urbina

X. **Inglese, Venerabile.** — Its earliest origins go back to the fourteenth century. Owing to the influx of English pilgrims to Rome in 1300 and 1350, an hospice was founded in 1362 in Via Monserrato. The hospice flourished until the seventeenth century and had a church dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity and St. Thomas of Canterbury, consecrated in 1445. Among its chaplains were men of high repute, and Cardinal Pole served as guardian from 1538 to 1544. During the reign of Elizabeth (1553–1605) the institution declined, until Dr. Allen (later a cardinal) and Owen Lewis (later Bishop of Cassano) persuaded Gregory XIII to transform it into a seminary for the English mission. The founding bull is dated 23 April 1579, though a preliminary attempt had already been made with a few students housed in private lodgings near St. Peter’s in 1576.

Despite some internal discord between Welshmen and Englishmen, and between friends and opponents of Jesuit direction, the college prospered, its reputation spread, and it had the glory of producing for the Church 41 martyrs, among them Bl. Ralph Sharwin (1581), Bl. Henry Walpole, Bl. Robert Southwell (1595), Bl. John Wall and Bl. David Lewis (1679).

From 1579 it was under Jesuit direction; among them may be recalled Fr. Agazzari and Fr. Vitelleschi. From 1598 the rectors were always English, including Fr. Robert Persons (1595–1610). Among its guests were several Protestants, such as Milton (1638) and John Evelyn. In 1685 the college was rebuilt and its church restored by its protector Cardinal Howard, who added the sodality chapel. In 1773, following the suppression of the Jesuits, the college was placed under the direction of Italian secular priests. When in 1798 Napoleonic troops invaded Rome and sacked the building, destroying the church, there were only ten students.

In 1818 the college was reopened with ten students, among them the future Cardinal Wiseman, under the rectorship of Dr. Gradwell, an English secular priest. All its subsequent rectors were English secular priests, including the already mentioned Cardinal Wiseman (1828–40), Cardinal Hinsley (1917–30), and the Apostolic Delegate to Great Britain, Msgr. G. Godfrey (1930–39).

From its foundation until 1773 the students attended the Roman College; from that year until 1793 they had their own school. From 1819 to 1824 they returned to the Roman College, which in that year was restored to the Jesuits; thereafter, until 1859, they attended the Apollinare. Since then they have been students of the Roman College and the Gregorian University. Their greatest academic triumph was marked by Cardinal Wiseman in 1824. The college’s tradition is to combine a just patriotic sentiment with fidelity to the Holy See; its aim for its students is to be like their glorious martyrs, true Englishmen and integral Catholics. The conversion of England is the special object of their desire. The new church was built in 1866–88.

BIBL.: F. A. Gasquet, *A History of the English College*, Rome 1920; *The Venerable*, periodical, from 1922 onwards. Henry E. G. Rope

XII. IRISH, PONTIFICAL

The anti-Catholic laws of the English sovereigns of the 16th and 17th centuries, having made ecclesiastical education impossible in Ireland, various colleges were founded for Irish clerics in the Catholic nations of Europe. In 1625 the Irish bishops petitioned Pope Urban VIII to found an Irish college in Rome. The petition was granted in 1628 by Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi, protector of Ireland, who, at the urging of Fr. Luke Wadding, O.F.M., founded at his own expense a college for Irish clerics. The first residence was in a building opposite the church of S. Isidoro, and the direction was entrusted to the Irish Franciscan fathers of that church.

After the death of Cardinal Ludovisi, the administration of the Irish college passed to the Society of Jesus, which maintained it until 1772. From that year until 1798, the rector was Abbot Luigi Cuccagni. From 1639 until 1798, the year in which the Irish college was suppressed by the Napoleonic invaders, the residence was in via degli Ibernesi. When it was rebuilt in 1826, it occupied the buildings near S. Lucia dei Ginnasi, whence it was transferred in 1838 to S. Agata in Suburba. In 1926 it took up its present residence near the church of the SS. Quattro. From 1826 the superiors have been chosen by the Irish diocesan clergy. The students attend the schools of the Lateran Athenaeum. Among the former students worthy of special mention are: the martyr Oliver Plunket (v.), beatified in 1920; Abbot Columba Marmion, O.S.B.; Cardinal Patrick Francis Moran, the first cardinal created in Australia, author of several historical works.

Dionysius Mac Daid

XII. LITHUANIAN «S. CASIMIR». — The Lithuanian college, whose erection was decided on 11 Oct. 1945 by the bishops of Lithuania in exile, under the presidency of Metropolitan Giuseppe Skvireckas, archbishop of Kaunas, opened on 1 Nov. 1946, with 38 students, in the building at via Casalmonferrato no. 20, donated by A. Briska, parish priest of the archdiocese of Chicago; Pius XII canonically erected it on 1 May 1948 under the patronage of St. Casimir. The students attend the Pontifical Gregorian University and the Lateran Athenaeum.

Ladislas Tulaba

XIII. MARONITE, PONTIFICAL

Gregory XIII founded in 1581 a hospice to lodge pilgrims from Lebanon, situated in the present via dei Maroniti in the Trevi district. Later, on 11 July 1584, that hospice was elevated by the bull Humana sic ferunt to a college for seminarians and was entrusted by the protector, Cardinal Caraffa, to the Jesuits, who administered it until their suppression in 1773. It then suffered sad conditions and financial straits that closed its doors for decades.

The ancient building was then purchased in 1866 by the Polish college. Finally, Leo XIII, acceding to the requests and financial collaboration of the Maronite episcopate, rehabilitated the ancient foundation in its new seat at via Porta Pinciana 18. The same rules as those of the College of Propaganda were adopted. Benedict XV confirmed the custom that had been established, namely that the rector should belong to the Roman secular clergy. Pius XI, however, at the request of the Maronite episcopate, entrusted the college once more to the Society of Jesus. From the eve of the Second World War until now (1949) the college has remained closed. The students attended the schools of the Pontifical Gregorian University (v. MARONITE).

Ignatius Ortiz de Urbina

XIV. NEPOMUCENE, PONTIFICAL

This college, originally called Bohemian because it was limited to the four dioceses of the kingdom of Bohemia, was due to the munificence of Leo XIII, who, with the support of the then bishop of Budejovice, Franz, Prince of Schönborn (later archbishop of Prague), established in 1884 a first nucleus of students at the Institute of the Soul, and later at the Lombard college at S. Carlo al Corso.

But in 1890 the Pope donated a site in via Sistina; provided the college with sufficient financial means; erected it as a pontifical college by the apostolic letter Vicariam of 1 Jan. 1890, stipulating that it should accommodate up to 30 students from the four dioceses of Bohemia: Prague, Hradec Králové, Budejovice, and Litoměřice, of both Czech and German nationality, and that they should continue to attend the Athenaeum of Propaganda Fide. The statutes, inspired by those of the College of Propaganda Fide and adapted to the particular needs of the new college, were approved by Cardinal Rampolla, Secretary of State, on 15 May 1893. The first rector was Msgr. Lorenzelli, later nuncio to Paris and cardinal, for more than 20 years, with Msgr. Francesco Zapletal, later titular bishop of Salona and auxiliary of the archbishop of Prague, as vice-rector. After 1893, Msgr. Hais, bishop of Hradec Králové, donated to the college a villa at Trevi in Umbria for the summer holidays.

In May 1915, because of the First World War, the students left Rome, continuing their studies at the theological faculty of Charles University in Prague. In 1919, with the establishment of the new Czechoslovak Republic, comprising, besides Bohemia, also Moravia and Slovakia, the college was extended to all 12 dioceses of the Republic. When the seat became too cramped, Pope Pius XI in 1927 donated the land for the construction of a new seat in via Concordia. From 1928–29 the students attended the Lateran Athenaeum. The new statutes were approved by the apostolic letter Ubi privatum on 23 Apr. 1930, and from then on the college assumed the name of Nepomucene, in honor of the martyr St. John Nepomucene. In 1931 Pius XI donated the Villa Maria, near the shrine of Our Lady of Montenero (Livorno).

Because of the secession of the Sudetenland from the Czechoslovak Republic and its annexation to Germany on 28 Sept. 1938, the students of German nationality from the Sudetenland, by order of Pope Pius XI on 26 Oct. 1938, were transferred to the German College. During the Great War 1939–45 the college remained open, but from 1941 the students of Czech nationality could no longer return to their homeland, nor could new students come to Rome. In November following, the college resumed its life, since as many as 31 new students arrived from the restored Republic: now all the dioceses are represented according to their importance. Among the former students are many bishops, and in particular the late Cardinal Karel Kašpar, archbishop of Prague. At present the students number 42: 25 of Czech nationality and 17 of Slovak nationality.

Ferdinand Roveda

XV. DUTCH PONTIFICAL COLLEGE PIUS XI

Founded on 26 Oct. 1930, built by the first rector Msgr. Bernardo Eras, it accommodates only young Dutch priests who come to Rome to perfect their ecclesiastical studies. Since 1931 it has accommodated 55 students, who attend the Angelicum, the Gregorian, the institutes of Utroque Iure, Biblical, Oriental, Sacred Music, and Christian Archaeology. One former student is a bishop, three are university professors, and many are teachers in the major Dutch seminaries.

It also serves as a cultural and religious center for the Dutch colony in Rome.

Joseph Damen

XVI. BRAZILIAN PONTIFICAL COLLEGE PIUS

Located in Rome on the via Aurelia, it was inaugurated on 3 Apr. 1934 for the religious and scientific formation of young Brazilian clerics, who since the 19th century had been educated in the Collegio Pio Latino Americano. However, with the increase in the number of dioceses in Brazil and the difference of their language from that of the other nations of Latin America, Pope Pius XI decided to separate the Brazilian students and gather them in a separate college.

Thus the bishops of Brazil, led by Msgr. B. Aloisi Masella, then apostolic nuncio in Brazil (now a cardinal),

e by Cardinal Sebastiano da Silva Leme, Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro, they founded the new college, whose first stone was laid on 27 Oct. 1924. Its direction was entrusted to the Jesuits, and the young men attend the academic courses of the Gregorian University. Luigi Rion

XVII. PONTIFICAL LATIN AMERICAN COLLEGE

Founded in 1858 at the initiative of Msgr. Ignazio Eyzaguirre, a Chilean, blessed by Pius IX who wished it to be called “Pio” after his name and to be entrusted to the Society of Jesus. It began its life at S. Andrea della Valle, later moving to the Minerva and to S. Andrea del Quirinale, until the present building in via G. Belli was constructed in 1877 through the indefatigable work of Fr. Santinelli.

Pius IX donated to the college a suburban villa (Maffei) for weekly retreats. In 1925 a summer residence was built at Montenero near Livorno. The title “pontifical” was granted by Pius X. More than 2,000 pupils, coming from the Latin American republics, have received their education in this college, attending the courses of the Gregorian University and its annexed institutes, obtaining academic degrees, distinguishing themselves in their homelands, while many rose to the highest ranks of the ecclesiastical hierarchy: 6 cardinals and about 200 archbishops and bishops. Many others have distinguished themselves as writers, preachers, organizers of Catholic Action, directors of souls, founders and professors in public universities: about 100 embraced the religious life. The good that Latin America has derived from this providential institution is immense and continues to grow. Angelo R. Gonzales

XVIII. PONTIFICAL ROMANIAN COLLEGE

At the request of the Romanian episcopate, Pius XI founded the Romanian College on the slopes of the Gianicolo on 12 May 1930. It is entrusted to the secular clergy. The students attend the schools of the College of Propaganda.

XIX. PONTIFICAL POLISH COLLEGE

Founded in Rome to enable Polish clergy to pursue ecclesiastical studies at the center of Catholicism and thus help to strengthen the Catholic spirit in Poland, gravely threatened at the time.

This idea, suggested by Bogdan Jański to the first Resurrectionist Fathers in Paris in 1850, was proposed by Montalembert at their request and accepted by Pope Pius IX; but owing to various difficulties it could only be realized in 1868, with funds collected among Poles at home and abroad. The Pope appointed Fr. Semenéfko as its first rector, placed it under his special protection, and granted it the title “pontifical.” It had various seats. Since 1936 it has been located in piazza Remuria. In 1947–48 it was restored and enlarged with substantial help from Polish Americans. In 1938, at the wish of the Polish episcopate and by decision of the Sacred Congregation of Seminaries, the direction of the college passed from the Resurrectionists to the secular clergy, and on 11 Feb. 1949 it came under the direction of the Jesuits. Among its former pupils are counted 3 cardinals, 18 bishops, and many professors of ecclesiastical sciences in the seminaries and universities of Poland. The students attend the courses of the Pontifical Gregorian University.

XX. PONTIFICAL PORTUGUESE COLLEGE

Founded by Leo XIII on 20 Oct. 1900. It receives priest-students and seminarians chosen from among the best of the dioceses of Portugal, both on the continent and overseas. Its seat is in via Banco di S. Spirito no. 12, and it can accommodate 45 students. At present it has 31, among whom are 5 Indians (Goa) and 2 Angolans (Portuguese West Africa).

They attend the Pontifical Gregorian University, the Pontifical Biblical Institute, and the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music. The alumni trained in Rome are generally appointed to teach ecclesiastical sciences in their respective dioceses and also work in various organs of Catholic Action. Among the former students of the Portuguese College are counted one cardinal and 12 bishops. Gioacchino Carreira

XXI. PONTIFICAL RUSSIAN COLLEGE OF ST TERESA OF THE CHILD JESUS

Founded by Pius XI near the church of S. Antonio Abate on the Esquiline in 1929, it was entrusted to the Jesuits. The students, destined for the apostolate among the Russians, attend the schools of the Pontifical Gregorian University.

XXII. PONTIFICAL RUTHENIAN COLLEGE OF ST JOSAPHAT

Leo XIII founded on 18 Dec. 1897, with the letter Paternam benevolentiam, a college specifically for Ruthenians or Ukrainians who until then had for centuries been guests of the Greek College.

The new building, arranged near the church of SS. Sergio e Bacco, admitted its first students, initially directed by the Jesuits, until in 1904 they were replaced by the Basilian Fathers. Given the growing number of students, Pius XI in 1930 had a new palace built on the Gianicolo dedicated to St Josaphat, the present seat of the college. The students attend the classes of the College of Propaganda.

Ignazio Ortiz de Urbina

XXIII. COLLEGE OF PRIESTS FOR ITALIAN EMIGRATION

Founded on 13 March 1914, opened on 6 Jan. 1920, to assist Italian emigrants; its seat is in via della Scrofa, in the premises of the former Pio Seminary, founded by Pius IX.

XXIV. COLLEGE OF ST JEROME OF THE ILLYRIANS

Established by Pope Leo XIII on 10 Aug. 1901 with the brief Slavorum gentem. The said Pontiff, suppressing the hospice and the Chapter of the same name, founded the ecclesiastical college for the higher education of Croatian clergy under the name Collegium Hieronymianum pro Croatica gente, which on 7 March 1902 was changed to Collegium Hieronymianum Illyricorum.

The aim of the college is advanced studies in subjects related to theological studies, such as philosophy, biblical sciences, Oriental studies, canon law, church history, Christian archaeology, archival science, missiology, sacred music, sacred art, etc.

The said college, for political reasons, was not opened under Leo XIII, but under the pontificate of Pius X, in 1911, and was again closed in 1915 because of the First World War. Reopened in 1924, it has worked according to the aims assigned to it by its founder. By the end of 1948 it had had 102 students, of whom 2 were bishops, 11 university professors, 29 teachers in secondary schools, 17 in central diocesan offices, and others in the care of souls.

The property of the college, consisting of six houses near the Augusteum, was recently (1937–39) transformed into a single building, its present seat (piazza Augusto Imperatore and via Tomacelli). The previous seat was in via di Ripetta.

Admission to the college is open to Croatian priests from 17 dioceses, of which 16 belong to the F.N.R. of Yugoslavia, namely: 11 to the Republic of Croatia, 3 to the People’s Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2 to the People’s Republic of Montenegro, and the other is the diocese of Trieste. Giorgio Magierec

XXV. COLLEGE OF ST MARY OF THE LAKE: V. CHICAGO.

XXVI. COLLEGE OF ST PETER THE APOSTLE

Established by Propaganda on 18 Jan. 1947 on the Gianicolo to give the indigenous clergy of the missions the opportunity to perfect their ecclesiastical studies; it is intended as a complement to the Urban College of Propaganda Fide. The direction of the college is entrusted to the Fathers of the Society of the Divine Word. Its students attend the various Roman universities.
BIBL.: Acta pontificalium operum, Rome 1946, p. 38; ibid. 1947, pp. 27–31, 90–91; ibid. 1948, pp. 27–36, 103–105. Saverio Paventi

XXVII. PONTIFICAL SCOTTISH COLLEGE

After the Reformation, Catholics were excluded from

Scottish universities were closed to Catholics in the 16th century, and as a result, Scottish students could no longer receive an education in their homeland. To remedy this situation, Scottish colleges were established across Europe. Following the examples of those in Douai and Paris, the Scottish College in Rome was founded in 1600 by Pope Clement VIII, who endowed it with revenues, including those from the ancient Scottish hospice in Rome.

Initially, the college occupied a building located opposite Santa Maria di Costantinopoli on Via del Tritone, but in 1604, the Pope donated a building on Via Quattro Fontane, on the site of the current edifice. The church of Sant'Andrea degli Scozzesi, which serves as the college chapel, was built in 1645. Nine years later, the college acquired a country house and vineyard in Marino.

Like medieval colleges, the Scottish College was not solely intended for the education of priests. However, in 1616, due to a shortage of missionaries for Scotland, Pope Paul V—who had previously served as the protector of the Scottish College as a cardinal—decided that the college should henceforth focus exclusively on training priests for the Scottish mission. After its foundation, the college was governed by the papal datary. In 1615, it was placed under the direction of the Society of Jesus. Until 1671, the office of rector was held by Scottish Jesuits. Subsequently, many rectors were Italian Jesuits or secular priests until 1800, when Paolo Macpherson became rector. Since then, all rectors have been Scottish secular priests. From its inception, the college has consistently sent priests to Scotland, with the exception of two periods when it was closed: from 1708 to 1820 due to the French invasion, and from 1940 to 1946 because of the war. Currently, the college has 40 students attending the Pontifical Gregorian University, the Biblical Institute, and the Pontifical School of Sacred Music.

---

XXVIII. **SPANISH, PONTIFICAL** — The Pontifical Spanish College of St. Joseph was founded on April 1, 1892, by the Servant of God, Don Manuel Domingo y Sol. It was confirmed by Pope Leo XIII in his letter *Ad Episcopos Hispaniae* of October 25, 1893, and received the title of "pontifical" on December 16, 1904, from Pope Pius X.
Its permanent seat is the Palazzo Altemps on Via Sant'Apollinare, granted in perpetuity by Leo XIII. The number of students quickly reached one hundred, a figure that remains the norm today.

A great glory of the college is its 105 victims of the Spanish Revolution of 1936–39: two cardinals, one patriarch, two archbishops, and twenty-six bishops. The majority of students attend the Pontifical Gregorian University, though some also study at the Pontifical Biblical Institute, the Oriental Institute, the Pontifical Schools of Sacred Music, Christian Archaeology, the Lateran Athenaeum, and others.

---

XXIX. **GERMAN, IN SANTA MARIA DELL'ANIMA** — It was founded by an apostolic brief on March 10, 1859, for the training of priests needed for the diocesan curias of Austria and Germany (studies in canon law, service in the Sacred Congregations, etc.).

It can accommodate thirty priests, who attend courses at the various pontifical universities. One of the priests, under the rector’s direction, is tasked with providing religious and moral assistance to German-speaking Catholics in Rome and its surroundings. Among its alumni are Cardinals Faulhaber, Bertram, Hartmann, Nagl, and Missia, as well as bishops and professors such as Grabmann, Haberl, Commer, Schell, and Schmidlin.

**

BIBL.:** J. Schmidlin, *Geschichte der Anima*, Rome 1906; L. Hudal, *S. Maria dell'Anima*, 1928. Luigi Hudal

---

XXX. **GERMAN, IN SANTA MARIA IN CAMPO SANTO** — Founded by Pius IX on November 21, 1876, through the brief *Pietatis monumenta*, for priests originating from the territories of the former Holy Roman Empire of German nation.

Under the wise leadership of its first rector, Antonio De Waal, it quickly flourished, a growth interrupted only during World War I. By cultivating sacred archaeology and ecclesiastical history, its members largely pursued academic careers, becoming renowned professors and writers, including A. H. L. Hensen, J. Wilpert, J. P. Kirsch, A. Gauchie, J. Schlecht, J. Schnitzer, S. Merkle, R. Stapper, J. Sickenberger, G. Pfeilschifter, F. Wieland, E. Göller, M. Besson, J. Sauer, J. Schmidlin, N. Hilling, J. Wittig, F. J. Dölger, E. Krebs, F. X. Seppelt, P. Styger, Th. Klauser, and H. Jedin. Its premises house the Roman Institute of the Görres Society, with which it collaborates on the scholarly edition of the acts of the Council of Trent. It possesses a rich specialized library in the aforementioned theological disciplines and a museum of Christian antiquities (v. CAMPO SANTO TEUTONICO, MUSEO DEL, MUSEO del), featuring inscriptions, sarcophagi, architectural fragments, collections of lamps, sacred furnishings, and papal seals. Antonio De Waal founded the journal *Römische Quartalschrift* in 1887 (v.). On Saturdays, it holds its "sabatine," evening lectures of a scientific nature.

Ermanno Maria Stöckle

---

XXXI. **URBAN COLLEGE OF PROPAGANDA FIDE** — Canonically erected by Pope Urban VIII through the bull *Immortalis Dei Filius* on August 1, 1627. Its initiator and founder was Giovanni Battista Vives (b. in Valencia in 1542, d. in Rome in 1632), who benefited from the encouragement and advice of St. John Leonardi, founder of the Clerics Regular of the Mother of God, and Fr. Michele Ghisleri, a Theatine.

After overcoming many difficulties, in 1625 he succeeded in obtaining possession of the palace of the late Cardinal Ferratini, located in Piazza Trinità dei Monti (now Piazza di Spagna), which, by a notarial deed of June 1, 1626, he donated—along with other properties—to Urban VIII, so that it might serve as a residence for students "from every people and nation, sent by the Supreme Pontiff throughout the entire world to defend and propagate the Catholic faith." The papal bull of foundation placed the new college under the authority of the Holy See, entrusted its oversight to three canons of the three Roman patriarchal basilicas, and endowed it with its own schools, with the power to confer degrees in philosophy and theology.

Cardinal Antonio Barberini, brother of Urban VIII and appointed Prefect of Propaganda in 1632, purchased the adjacent houses and gardens and constructed a new building on the site, which was annexed to the college. He also established new scholarships and placed the college under the jurisdiction of the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda, which had moved into the same Ferratini palace in 1633, and entrusted its direction to the Theatines in 1641. In 1646, the direction passed to secular priests; later, toward the end of the 17th century, it was held by the Vincentians for a short time (1711), before reverting almost uninterruptedly to the secular clergy until 1836, when it was given to the Jesuits (1836–48), only to return once more to the secular clergy, where it has remained to this day.

The French Revolution declared it closed in 1798, forcing the students to return home and imprisoning about ten who had disobeyed the order in Castel Sant'Angelo. From 1803 to 1809, the college had a temporary seat in the house of the Vincentians at Montecitorio. In 1809, Napoleon suppressed II. It was definitively reopened in 1817.

In 1925, the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda purchased a large tract of land on the Janiculum, where it built the new college, inaugurated and blessed personally by Pope Pius XI on April 24, 1931. Students from the most distant regions, representing the five parts of the world and the various rites of the Catholic Church, of the most diverse colors and languages, are prepared here to become "heralds of the Great King." From its origins until approximately 1949, about 7,000 students have passed through its halls.