**DAUGHTERS OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI (Strigonia).** – The Institute had its beginnings in 1894 through the efforts of Anna Mutter, who, having come from Switzerland on several occasions, went to Budapest to care for the sick in their homes.
Although they wore a religious habit and were well regarded by ecclesiastical authority, it was not until 1904, when their numbers had grown considerably, that the lawyer of Strigonia canonically erected the Institute and gave them a text of constitutions drawn up by the Jesuit Fr Ludovico Tomcsanyi. The decree of praise was granted on 8 January 1935, and on the same date their constitutions were temporarily approved.
The Institute comprises a single class of religious who attend to the sick both in hospitals and in homes under the patronage of St Francis of Assisi. In 1947 the Institute had 32 houses, with 472 professed sisters.