FIGLIE DI SAN FRANCESCO DI SALES (IMOLA)

Image from page 768
Image from page 768

DAUGHTERS OF ST FRANCIS DE SALES (Imola). – The Institute was founded in 1869 at Lugo, in the diocese of Imola, by the Provost of the Collegiate Church, Canon Cavina, and by Ippolita Fantini, who, together with a companion, had left the Institute of the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul for this purpose.

In 1872 the bishop approved the Institute, which, despite various oppositions and financial constraints, had by 1892 spread beyond the confines of the diocese and expanded considerably. On 30 January 1931 the decree of praise was granted and the constitutions were provisionally approved on a trial basis.

The Institute comprised two classes of sisters, choir sisters and lay sisters; but towards the end of 1946 the superiors requested, on behalf of all, that the two classes be unified. The sisters are engaged in the Christian education of youth, in the care of the sick and in the assistance of the infirm. In 1949 it had 37 houses, with 270 professed sisters.

Bibl.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Religiosi, J. 10.

Agostino Pugliese