FIGLIE DI SAN GIUSEPPE (SANTIAGO DEL CILE)

Image from page 768
Image from page 768

DAUGHTERS OF SAINT JOSEPH (Santiago de Chile). - The Institute was founded in 1866 through the efforts of Mgr. Gioacchino Lavrain Gandarillas, titular archbishop of Anagarbo, in Santiago de Chile, and was approved by diocesan authority in 1888. It is composed of the Sisters of Providence who had not accepted the reform of the rules. It was canonically erected on 29 March 1895. On 18 January 1920 the Holy See granted the decree of praise with temporary approval of the constitutions, which were adapted to the Code and definitively approved on 21 June 1938.

The purpose of the Institute is the education of children and the care of the sick. In 1946 it had 16 houses with 121 sisters.

Bibl.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Religiosi, G. 40. Agostino Pugliese