DAUGHTERS OF ST JOSEPH (Venice). - This Institute was founded on 30 April 1850 by Monsignor Luigi Carbultoto, parish priest of S. Giacomo dall’Orio in Venice, to gather and educate daughters of the common people under the Rule of St Augustine and was approved by the local Ordinary on 23 July 1875. It obtained from the Holy See a decree of praise in 1866 and temporary approval of its constitutions in 1911, which were later definitively approved on 7 May 1927.
The Institute is chiefly concerned with the education of youth, with preference for abandoned or at-risk girls, through schools, kindergartens and recreational centres.
In 1949 it had 54 houses with 472 sisters.