Diocese of Port Pirie
On 13 May 1887, the northern territory was detached from the Diocese of Adelaide (Australia) and the Diocese of Port Augusta was erected, now P. P. At that time there were seven parishes founded by the Jesuits, who had been working there since 1852, and about 11,000 Catholics. However, the poor fertility of the soil and the exodus of the inhabitants did not allow for an increase in the number of Catholics.
The northern boundaries are marked by the 25th parallel of south latitude, to the west by the 129th meridian, which also marks the limits between the State of Western Australia and that of South Australia; to the east it marks the boundaries between Queensland and New South Wales; to the south the diocese borders on the Archdiocese of Adelaide, which on 5 May 1950 ceded some other territories and the Eyre Peninsula. On 7 June 1951 the name was changed to that of P. P.
The area exceeds 967,850 sq. km. The terrain is flat with few mountains. There are no watercourses except for the lower course of the Murray. The inhabitants, of European origin, are especially engaged in pastoralism. There are about 14,316 Catholics and about 82,078 Protestants, of whom not a few are without religious practice. There are 18 parishes, 3 deaneries, and 53 churches. There are 31 diocesan priests, of whom 12 were born in Australia. There are no male religious congregations. The Congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph has 13 houses with 49 sisters, of whom 6 were born in Australia; the Sisters of the Good Samaritan work in 3 houses with 23 religious, of whom 1 is native-born. The seminarians study at the Seminary of Adelaide. There is an orphanage. There are 17 lower and 10 upper Catholic schools. The government has 146 lower and 17 upper schools, which are also attended by Catholics. Religious instruction for the young is given great care. There are numerous pious associations. Government restrictions prevent the construction of new churches and schools.