THURSTON III E IV

THURSTON III e IV - Stele commemorativa della regina Haspesowe: il dio Amon-Ra adorato da T. III e dalla regina Hashepsowe (XVIII dinastia) - Vaticano, Museo Egizio.
THURSTON III e IV - Stele commemorativa della regina Haspesowe: il dio Amon-Ra adorato da T. III e dalla regina Hashepsowe (XVIII dinastia) - Vaticano, Museo Egizio.

Known bishops of the see include Sedatus, present at the Council of Carthage in 256; a Faustinus in the time of St Augustine (Ad Donatum post collationem, 22, 38); a Cyprian in 411; a Germanus in 646; the see was still an episcopal seat at the beginning of the 8th century (A. Gelzer, in Byzant. Zeitschrift, 2 [1893], p. 26). The ancient temple of Baal-Saturn and Tanit-Cerere was converted into a church toward the beginning of the 6th century in its southern part and in the peristyle; the left side of the portico became the right nave, and a new row of limestone columns was added. The three naves were separated by screens set against the columns; the floor was decorated with geometric mosaic; three limestone slabs bore epitaphs (with the formula “fidelis in pace”); some doors were opened and the remaining space was used as a cemetery. In front of the church, on four column bases arranged in a square, was placed the tomb of a woman who was interred in a wooden coffin, with her jewels—gold earrings, two gold brooches, a gold necklace, etc. Near this church was later found the mosaic inscription by the altar of an “Arifridos in pace,” now in the Bardo Museum in Tunis. The temple of Mercury also appears to have been converted into a church (CIL, VIII, 1237, 12). Another church was obtained near the harbor of the Petronii.

Bibl.: J. Mesnage, L’Afrique chrétienne, Paris 1912, pp. 90-101; A. Merlin, Découvertes à T. M., in Comptes rendus de l’Acad. des Inscr., 1912, pp. 346-47; L. Poinsost, Bijoux dans une tombe chrétienne, ibid., 1912, p. 358; S.