FIGLIE DEL SACRATISSIMO CUORE DI GESÙ

DAUGHTERS OF THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS

The congregation originated as a diocesan institution in the Apostolic Prefecture of Niigata by decree of 3 May 1920. The foundress was the German sister Teresa Illerhaus, who had left the Congregation of the Servants of the Holy Spirit for this purpose. Having become a Japanese citizen, she changed her surname to Misono.

The congregation’s aim is to assist the apostolate of missionaries through social, charitable and educational works. In 1938 the motherhouse was transferred to the Diocese of Yokohama, specifically to Fujisawa. From Propaganda on 7 April 1949 it obtained the decree of praise and approval of its constitutions “ad septentrium.” It now numbers about 150 sisters, all Japanese, working in nine centres scattered throughout Japan.

Saverio Paveniti

DAUGHTERS OF THE SACRED HEART (Bergamo)

Institute founded at Bergamo in 1831 by Fr Giuseppe Benaglio and the Venerable Teresa Eustochio Verzeri. Its purpose is education and instruction through schools of every grade, kindergartens and orphanages. It is spread in Italy and Brazil with 45 houses and more than 1,000 sisters.

BIBL.: G. Arcangeli, Vita della ven. Teresa E. Verzeri, 2nd ed., Bergamo 1866. Silverio Mattei