HOSANNA, PREFETTURA APOSTOLICA DI

Image from page 866
Image from page 866

HOSANNA, APOSTOLIC PREFECTURE OF. — On 25 March 1937, when the new general arrangement of the missions of Ethiopia was approved, Pope Pius XI, acceding to the desire of the Minister General of the Capuchins, decreed that the Capuchin Fathers should continue to hold the missionary stations of Endeber, Uassera and Dobbo. These stations belonged to the Apostolic Vicariate of Gimma. Thus, on 13 February 1940, the Apostolic Prefectures of Endeber and of H. were erected and entrusted to the Order of the Capuchins.

The Apostolic Prefecture of H. covers an area of more than 7,000 sq. km.; at the time of its erection (1940), it had a population of 550,000, including about 5,000 Catholics, 10,000 catechumens, 14 Capuchin missionary priests with 6 lay brothers, 8 main stations, 7 secondary ones, and 3 schools with 120 pupils. The Prefecture gave promise of imposing development; but shortly afterwards, the war slowed down and then completely interrupted the regular rhythm of evangelizing activity, with the repatriation of the Italian missionaries.

Bibl.: AAS, 29 (1937), pp. 360-61; 32 (1940), pp. 467-70; Archivio di Propaganda Fide, pos. prot. n. 190/40. Carlo Corvo