BRENTWOOD, Diocese of
In England, in the county of Essex (to the northeast of London), erected on 22 March 1917 as a suffragan of Westminster. The cathedral became the church of the Sacred Heart and St. Helen, built between the years 1836–1861 and consecrated on 15 June 1869. The diocese comprises 55 parishes, 90 diocesan priests, and 52 religious. It covers an area of 3,916 sq. km., with a population of 1,759,210, of whom 66,000 are Catholic. In 1946 there were 444 conversions.
Bibl.: Anon., s. V. in The Cath. Enc., XVII (Supplement), New York 1922, p. 127; E. Van Cauwenbergh, s. V. in DHG, col. 542; The Catholic Directory, 1926, London 1948, pp. 123–133.