JOURNAL OF NEAR EASTERN STUDIES

JOURNAL OF NEAR EASTERN STUDIES. - A Protestant quarterly journal published under the auspices of the University of Chicago. It began publication in January 1942 under the direction of G. G. Cameron. It covers Egyptology, Semitic philology, Assyriology, the culture and religion of Semitic peoples. Principal contributors: J. Sainte Fare Garnot, P. Kahle, W. F. Albright, A. J. Festugière, E. Wright. It offers frequent and excellent reproductions of manuscripts and important documents.

It is the continuation of Hebraica, founded in 1884 under the direction of W. R. Harper, which pursued primarily philological aims and had excellent bibliographic lists. Among its contributors were P. Haupt, S. R. Driver, T. K. Cheyne, H. L. Strack. With vol. 11 (1895), it ceased to be called Hebraica and took the title American journal of semitic languages and literatures, which it retained until 1941 (vol. 58). The direction was then assumed by G. G. Cameron. Principal contributors included M. Yastrow, E. G. Hirsch, G. F. Moore, F. Brown, Eugenio Zolli.