MISSIONARIES OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. — The Institute began in 1902 at Notre-Dame-des-Neiges near Montréal (Canada), founded by Delia Tétrault and Giuseppina Montomarquet under the direction of the parish priest of St-Louis-de-Fronne, Fr Gustavo Bourassa, and with the high protection of the archbishop, who two years later erected it as a congregation in 1905 and received the first professions. In 1909 the first house was opened in missionary territory, in Canton.
On 1 March 1925 it obtained the decree of praise and at the same time temporary approval of the Constitutions, which were definitively approved on 7 March 1933.
The principal aim of the Institute is missionary apostolate. In 1947 the sisters numbered 571, the novices 39, distributed across 40 houses.