MISSIONARIE CATECHISTE DI ORURO

Image from page 665
Image from page 665

MISSIONARY CATECHIST SISTERS OF ORURO. – On 16 June 1925, Msgr. Antezana, Bishop of Oruro (Bolivia), accompanied by two priests of the Heart of Mary, led Mother Ignazia March, already professed in the Institute of the Little Sisters of the Poor Elderly, and a companion to the door of an abandoned monastery. That was the cradle of the new Institute, canonically erected at the end of 1926. On 12 February the first professions took place, and in the autumn of the same year the first foundation was established in Cochabamba.

On 8 April 1935 the decree of praise and temporary approval of the Constitutions were granted, and on 9 June 1947 the definitive approval.

The purpose of the Institute is catechetical apostolate among all classes of people, instilling especially love for the Church and the Pope and all their representatives.

In 1946 the sisters numbered 185 and the novices 70, distributed across 13 houses.

BIBL.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Rel., O. 17. Agostino Pugliese