FIGLIE DELLA MISERICORDIA E DELLA CROCE (PALERMO)

DAUGHTERS OF MERCY AND OF THE CROSS (Palermo). — The Institute originated in Partinico (Monreale) in 1892, chiefly through the work of Mother Maria Rosa Zangara, and currently has its generalate in Palermo. It obtained approval on 10 December 1928 and definitive approval of its constitutions on 3 August 1937.

Its purpose is the exercise of Christian charity toward the sick (including home care), poor elderly persons, and abandoned girls who are at risk or otherwise in need of assistance and support.

Article illustration
In 1949 the Institute had 41 houses and 267 sisters.

BIBL.: Archivio S. Congr. dei Religiosi, P. 91. Agostino Pugliese