DAUGHTERS OF PROVIDENCE (Modena). – In 1828 the Community of the Daughters of Jesus, which in Modena had charge of the charity school, was dissolved. Following this, three sisters of the dissolved Community, through the pious and learned priest Father Severino Fabriani, took the name of Daughters of Providence and, at the invitation of the Ducal government, remained in part of the building to care for deaf-mutes, who had previously lived with other girls in the charity school. The new Institute was approved by Gregory XVI on 9 January 1845, and in the first days of July 1857 it was strengthened by the visit of Pius IX, who, moved by the sight of the well-educated invalids, left these sisters with this blessing as he departed: “Blessed Daughters of Providence, who make the mute speak!”
The constitutions, approved in 1855 by the Ordinary of Modena, received temporary apostolic approval on 6 July 1932, and definitive approval on 7 January 1941.
The purpose of the Institute is the education and instruction of deaf-mute girls; it has 5 houses with 45 sisters who take a fourth vow of charity toward the deaf-mutes.