FIGLIE DI NOSTRA SIGNORA AL MONTE CALVARIO (ROMA)

DAUGHTERS OF OUR LADY ON MOUNT CALVARY (Rome). — The Institute arose in 1641 through the work of Virginia Centurione Bracelli, and underwent many vicissitudes until it attained its present stability thanks to the generosity of the Genoese patrician Emanuele Brignole.

On 23 May 1827 Leo XII summoned some sisters to Rome to care for the residents of the Hospice of St Mary of the Angels at the Baths. On 16 June 1833 Gregory XVI assigned them the monastery and church of St Norbert, and on 8 July 1842 he approved their rule. On 2 June 1842 their constitutions, conformed to the Code, were approved, and on 15 September 1948 a new text, drawn up in accordance with new requirements, was definitively approved.

The special purpose of the Institute is teaching and education; the sisters also care for abandoned young people, the elderly and the sick in hospitals, preventoria, etc. In 1949 the Institute had 74 houses and 590 sisters.

BIBL.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Religiosi, R. 2: M. Heimbucher, Die Orden und Kongregationen der katholischen Kirche, II, Paderborn, 1934, p. 33.