DAUGHTERS OF OUR LADY OF DELIVERANCE (Grenoble). — This institute of sisters was founded at Martinique on 2 February 1868 by Fr. Dufrieu. In 1884 the sisters were called to Grenoble by Msgr. Fava, formerly bishop of Martinique, and in 1902 the generalate itself was transferred to Grenoble. On 3 March 1928 the institute received from the Holy See the decree of praise and temporary approval of its constitutions.
At the general chapter of 25 July 1935 affiliation to the Dominican Order was decided. The revised and corrected constitutions were definitively approved on 9 January 1943. The special purpose of the congregation is the education and instruction of youth, the care of the sick in hospitals, clinics and at home. It comprises choir sisters and lay sisters. In 1941 the institute had 28 houses with 285 sisters.