Diocese of Saint Peter and Fort-de-France (Martinique)
It comprises the island of Martinique, which was discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1502 during his fourth voyage, but was never occupied by the Spanish.
In 1635 it was occupied and colonized by the French. In the same year the Dominicans began the mission from Guadeloupe. In 1646 the Capuchins arrived, whose mission center was Saint-Christophe. The Jesuits, who arrived two years later, in 1651 obtained the faculty of apostolic prefect for the Superior of the missions subject to France in the islands and mainland countries of Central America; however, the prefects of the Dominicans and Capuchins from Guadeloupe retained their jurisdiction over Martinique. Alongside the religious, French and Irish secular priests also worked (in 1667 it was estimated that 12,000 Irish had taken refuge in the Lesser Antilles during Cromwell's persecution). By the end of the 17th century the entire island was Catholic. After the scandal of Fr. Antonio de La Valette, the Jesuits were expelled from the island in 1704. During the 18th century, in the Franco-English wars, Martinique passed repeatedly into English hands. All the remaining priests were placed under a single apostolic prefect, Fr. Francesco Agostino Trepsac, already apostolic prefect of Guadeloupe (June 5, 1794).
Some French priests, deported to Cayenne during the Revolution, were able to move to Martinique, thus increasing the number of clergy. After the Treaty of Paris (1814) and following the reopening of the Seminary of the Holy Spirit, Propaganda entrusted Martinique to the latter, leaving the choice of prefect to the Superior General (1819). Based on the Concordat with France, on September 27, 1850, the diocese of Saint Peter of Martinique was erected as a suffragan of Bordeaux; three years later (September 12, 1853) the see was transferred from Fort-de-France to Saint-Pierre, but then returned to its original location in 1902, Saint-Pierre having been completely destroyed by the eruption of Mount Pelée. After the revocation of the Concordat (1909), Martinique was placed under the jurisdiction of Propaganda, which entrusted it to the Congregation of the Holy Spirit (March 4, 1912). The current number of inhabitants is 261,595, of whom 259,000 are Catholic; among the 93 priests, only 17 are natives of the country.
Apostolic Prefecture of Saint Pierre and Miquelon
It comprises a small group of islands belonging to France, located south of Newfoundland.
From the beginning of the 17th century these islands were a center for fishing, especially visited by the French. The fishermen built a chapel in Saint-Pierre in 1689 and another in Miquelon. The wars between France and England made the inhabitants aware of the horrors of various invasions and deportations by English Protestants. Religious assistance was provided by secular or regular priests, especially by the chaplains of the King’s ship during the fishing season.
In the papal audience of May 26, 1763, the Holy See granted to the King of France four apostolic prefectures of the secular clergy for the islands of Santo Domingo, Martinique, Cayenne, and Saint Pierre and Miquelon. The first apostolic prefect (who actually reached the see) for Saint Pierre and Miquelon was Julien Becquet, who, together with the vice-prefect G. B. Paradis, was appointed on May 3, 1767 as general chaplain of the French colonies and vicar general of Quebec. Subsequently, the Society of the Holy Spirit ensured ministry in the prefecture with students from the Seminary of the Holy Spirit until 1793, and again starting in 1816 after the Treaty of Paris (1814) had restored the islands to France. The mission was restored by the apostolic prefect M. Ollivier, appointed on June 13, 1818. By a letter of March 4, 1912 to the Superior General of the Spiritans, Propaganda entrusted the prefecture once again to their care.
The surface area of the islands is 241 sq. km., with 4,354 inhabitants, of whom 4,350 are Catholic. Missionaries: 6; brothers: 2; sisters: 34; elementary schools: 4; middle schools: 3; primary stations: 3; churches: 3; chapels: 1.