DAUGHTERS OF OUR LADY OF THE MISSIONS (Southwark). — Founded in Lyons in 1861 by Sister Maria del S. Cuore for the education and instruction of youth and women, especially in countries of heretics or unbelievers, the Institute received the decree of praise on 9 June 1869 and approval on 28 September 1877. Temporary approval of the constitutions was granted in December 1890, and definitive approval on 6 July 1906. On 20 October 1933 the constitutions were again approved, adapted to the Code.
The particular aim of the Institute is the Christian instruction and education of girls and women, especially in mission countries.
In 1948 the Institute had 92 houses with over 1,000 sisters.