INFERMIERE DELL'ADDOLORATA

NURSES OF THE SORROWFUL MOTHER. — On 27 Sept. 1850 Giovanna Franchi, together with other young women, under the guidance of the penitentiary and with the approval of the diocesan ordinary, founded the Institute in the church of S. Nazzaro, Como. The small community was initially called the Congregation of the Sisters, Nurses of Charity, and at Easter 1858 obtained the faculty of having its members wear a religious habit.

At Christmas 1862, with the approval of the constitutions, the Institute became of diocesan right, later passing to pontifical right with the decree of praise and temporary approval of the constitutions on 25 Jan. 1935. Final approval was granted on 8 June 1942.

The special purpose of the Institute is the spiritual and corporal care of the sick, in clinics and nursing homes, as well as in private homes, but only during the day, gratuitously, with preference given to the poor. The sisters also assist the elderly in retirement homes.

In 1942 the sisters numbered about 180, distributed in 5 houses.

BIBL.: Archivio S. Congregazione dei Religiosi, C. 106. Agostino Pugliese