LABICUM. — The city of L., also called “Labicum Quintanense,” was located at the 15th mile on the Via Labicana. By the 3rd century it already had a Christian community, attested by a cemetery with inscriptions and paintings discovered at the 10th mile on the Via Labicana (Bull. d'arch. crist., 2nd ser., 1 [1870], pp. 23 ff.; 3 [1872], p. 105).
It soon became the center of a small suburbicarian diocese that, beneath the hill of Montecompatri, extended along the aforementioned road, where the statio ad Quintanas was located, including Tusculum and the ager Tusculanus (Liber Pont., II, pp. 136 n. 26). Indeed, Bishop Zoticus of Labicum attended the Roman Synod of 2 October 313. The episcopal succession ends with Bovus (or Bonus) in 1111, during the pontificate of Paschal II (ibid., II, pp. 299, 307 n. 26), after which the bishops are styled Tusculan, the diocese of Labicum having been absorbed by that of Tusculum (v. ARTASAT).