GAETA, ARCHDIOCESE OF. — The archdiocese of Gaeta, immediately subject to the Holy See, is part of the province of Latina and comprises the territories that were once those of the dioceses of Formia, Minturno, and Fondi, covering an area of 774 sq. km.; with a population of 109,400, of whom 109,300 are Catholic, 43 parishes, 81 secular priests, 18 regular priests, and a minor seminary (1949). The cathedral is dedicated to the Assumption.
In Roman times, Gaeta was a small settlement around the port of Formia, which in the early Middle Ages was under the Western Empire and where the inhabitants of Formia sought refuge from pirates in 681; the bishop of Formia had jurisdiction over them. After becoming the capital of a duchy ruled by an *ipato*, Gaeta passed in 1140 to the Norman monarchy, becoming an important maritime stronghold from which Marcantonio Colonna set sail for Lepanto in 1571, and upon his return deposited in the cathedral the banner given to him by Pius V. On 25 November 1848, after being joined by the court, the King of Naples, and the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Pius IX took refuge there, and on 11 February 1849 he prescribed prayers for the definition of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception (Pius IX, *Acta*, I, Rome 1854, pp. 162-66). As the last Bourbon stronghold, Gaeta was besieged in 1860-61 and captured by Cialdini. Among its notable sons were Giovanni Crescenzi-Caetani, later Gelasius II (1118-19); Tommaso de Vio, known as Cajetan (1469-1534), a most learned commentator on the *Summa* of St. Thomas, papal legate in Germany and later cardinal; the painters Scipione Pulzone, known as Gaetano (1550-88), Sebastiano Conca (q.v.), and the historians Erasmo and Sebastiano Gattola (18th century).The bishopric of G., formed by the union FORMA (v.) AMITERNO (v.), is not recorded before the 8th century. Among the prelates, it is noteworthy...
GAETANO (TOMMASO DE VIO): V. DE VIO, TOMMASO.
GAETANO da Thiene, Saint. — Born of a noble Vicentine family in October 1480, son of Gaspare and Maria
(1st. Gab. fot. n.e.)
GAETA, ARCHDIOCESE OF. — Bell tower. The base is from the 9th century, the three upper stages are the work of Nicola d'Angelo (1148–74), and the terminal part dates to 1279.
He often made it his habitual residence, except for the three years 1540–43, when he resumed the governance of the Venetian community. After several temporary residences, the Saint settled in 1538 at S. Paolo Maggiore, which became the center of his spiritual activity. In Naples he repeated what he had accomplished in Venice, raising the tone of spiritual life and founding and expanding charitable institutions that left a deep mark on the city. He died on 7 August 1547, and the pacification of Naples at a critical moment was attributed to his intercession. He was buried at S. Paolo, leaving Christendom a constant and heroic example of trust in Providence.
He was canonized by Clement X on 12 April