MERAUKE, VICARIATO APOSTOLICO DI

MERAUKE, APOSTOLIC VICARIATE OF

Located in the southern part of Dutch New Guinea; erected on 25 June 1950 by the division of the Apostolic Vicariate of Amboina, formerly the Apostolic Vicariate of Dutch New Guinea, and entrusted to the Congregation of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Its surface area extends to approximately 130,000 sq km, with a population of approximately 100,000 inhabitants, mostly Melanesian. The mission began as early as 1905. After many difficulties due to the nefarious customs of the region, including not least headhunting, it was only in 1921 that adult baptism could be administered. After 1930, the Catholic faith managed to penetrate among the tribes as far as the foothills of the mountains. In this region, there is a Protestant mission established since 1930.

There are approximately 20 Catholic schools. Islam has not gained a foothold in the country, so evangelization appears to be relatively easy. The number of Catholics reaches 23,382. There are 18 missionaries; 118 catechists; 14 residential stations; 65 sacred buildings; 3 male and 3 female boarding schools. The only city of some importance is M. on the sea, seat of the Ordinary. Msgr. Hermann Tillemans, a Dutchman, first Apostolic Vicar of M., took part in several expeditions for the discovery of unknown tribes, a true pioneer of charity and humanity.

BIBL.: MC, 1950, p. 439; Archivio della S. Congregazione di Propaganda Fide, pos. prot. n. 2218/50. Edoardo Pecorario