BENEDETTINE DELLA DIVINA PROVVIDENZA

Image from page 718
Image from page 718

BENEDICTINES OF THE DIVINE PROVIDENCE. – Religious congregation founded at Voghera in 1855 by the sisters Giuseppina and Maria Schiapparoli, who had left the Institute of the B. of Ronco Scrivia to care for their sick father. Assisted and supported by the canons Don Giuseppe Manfredi and Don Giovanni Grondona, they were able to fulfill the duties of filial piety and, aided by pious benefactresses, open a school for poor girls. The new institute developed to the point of extending its sphere of action to hospitals, infant asylums, schools, and other charitable works. It now has 44 houses with about 300 religious. It was approved by the Holy See in 1935.

SILVERIO MATTEI