BONDO, Apostolic Vicariate of. - The Crosier Missionaries, who arrived at B. (Belgian Congo) on 13 December 1920, under the direction of the Apostolic Prefect of the University, established the first station (Moyongo, 16 January 1921), which, transferred to B. in 1922, became the center of evangelization for a vast territory to the north of the right bank of the Uélé River. It was erected as an Apostolic Prefecture on 10 March 1926 and later as a Vicariate in 1937. Its borders with the Vicariate of Niangara were adjusted in 1941 by the incorporation of the "chefferie" of Solo.
Area (northern part of the Uélé district): approximately 75,600 sq. km.; total population: 182,000 inhabitants, mostly Azande. In 1948: 27,117 Catholics, 5,500 catechumens, 10 dissidents of the Eastern rite; about 300 Protestants, 12 Muslims, and 15,000 pagans. There are 410 stations (10 with resident priests), served by 37 Crosier priests, including two indigenous priests; 17 brothers and 31 sisters; 405 catechists and 176 teachers. Two indigenous congregations, one male and one female, are well established. Notable are, in addition to a minor seminary, the numerous elementary schools (with 4,801 pupils), one vocational school (20 pupils), one teacher-training school (53 pupils), and five schools for catechists (24 pupils); six hospitals and six dispensaries, twelve orphanages, six homes for the elderly, and four leper asylums.