DAUGHTERS OF THE DIVINE REDEEMER (Giavarino).— In Niederbronn, in the diocese of Strasbourg, an institute known as the Daughters of the Divine Redeemer was founded in 1849 by Elizabeth Eppinger. It was approved by the Holy See in 1863. In that same year, Bishop John Simor of Giavarino (Hungary) requested and obtained the services of some sisters from the new institute.
The distance from the motherhouse, the difficulties of communication and language, and other factors led to the separation of the Hungarian houses from the original motherhouse. The house at Sopron became the new motherhouse, and in 1867 Bishop Zolka issued new constitutions. On July 15, 1913, the Hungarian institute of the Divine Redeemer became a pontifical institute; on July 31, 1925, it received definitive approval from the Holy See, as well as temporary approval of its constitutions. The sisters dedicate themselves to the care of the sick, including home nursing, and to the education of youth. In 1947, there were 1,384 sisters in 135 houses.