FIGLIE DEL DIVIN SALVATORE (VIENNA)

DAUGHTERS OF THE DIVINE SAVIOUR (Vienna).—The Institute has its first origin in 1849, through the work of Elisabeth Eppinger, assisted by the Reverend David Richard, parish priest of Niederbronn in Alsace. In 1857 some sisters of the new Institute were called to Vienna to direct an orphanage in the parish of Reindorf, where later they also began to care for the sick in hospitals and in private homes.

On 3 April 1866, for political reasons—especially because Alsace had passed under French rule—Cardinal Rauscher, Archbishop of Vienna, separated the house in Vienna from that in Niederbronn and raised it to a diocesan Congregation. The new Institute flourished; on 10 July 1928 it obtained definitive approval from the Holy See, and in 1936 its constitutions were also approved. The mother-house is in Vienna; in 1948 the Institute had 60 houses and 1,100 sisters.

BIBL.: M. Heimbucher, Die Orden und Kongregationen der katholischen Kirche, II, Paderborn 1934, p. 536; Arch. S. Congr. dei Religiosi, V. 36.