FIGLIE DI MARIA IMMACOLATA (SAVONA)

**DAUGHTERS OF MARY IMMACULATE** (Savona).

- The Institute was founded on March 1, 1854, in Albisola Marina, near Savona, by Sister Teresa Vallegra, at the initiative of Canon Francesco Piccone. The first constitutions were approved by the bishop on July 10, 1872. The decree of praise is dated September 12, 1898, and the temporary approval of the constitutions bears the date of January 20, 1941.

The special purpose of the Institute is the instruction and education of youth and the care of the sick, especially the poor, even in their homes. It consists of a single class of sisters who, after a year of novitiate, make temporary vows renewable. In 1948, there were 242 religious living in 38 houses.

Bibl.: Arch. S. Congr. dei Religiosi, S. 18.