MORONDAVA, APOSTOLIC PREFECTURE OF. — It is situated on the western coast of Madagascar and was erected on 18 January 1938 with territory taken from the Apostolic Vicariates of Maungua, Fianarantsoa, Antsirabè and from the mission *sui iuris* of Miarinarivo, which was still considered part of the Apostolic Vicariate of Tananarive. On 15 March 1939 it received some territories from the mission of Miarinarivo, which were then returned on 9 June 1950 to the Apostolic Prefecture of Tsironamandidy, namely the civil districts of Maintirano and Morafenobe.
The climate on the coast is unhealthy, but in the mountains it is very salubrious. The area does not reach 200,000 sq. km. and the inhabitants are about 220,000, of whom 20,553 are Catholic and 1,623 are catechumens. There are 13 missionaries of the Society of Mary (Marianists), 7 brothers, 29 sisters, 215 catechists, and 33 teachers. There are 7 primary stations, 8 secondary stations, 13 churches, 208 chapels, 24 elementary schools, 1 middle school, 1 vocational school, and 1 orphanage.