QUEENSTOWN, DIOCESI DI

Image from page 237
Image from page 237

QUEENSTOWN, DIOCESE OF. — It is situated in the eastern part of the Union of South Africa and was erected as a mission territory on 20 February 1929, with territory detached from the Apostolic Vicariate of the Cape of Good Hope, Eastern District, now the Diocese of Port Elizabeth (q.v.).

On 29 March 1938 it was raised to an Apostolic Prefecture, on 9 April 1948 to a Vicariate, and with the establishment of the hierarchy in the Union of South Africa on 11 January 1951 it became a diocese. It is entrusted to the Society of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottines).

Article illustration

It has an area of 28,160 sq. km., with a population of about 250,000 inhabitants, almost all indigenous. Catholics: 2,794 indigenous, 711 of mixed race, and 827 Europeans. Catechumens: 624. Pagans: about 185,000; missionaries 23, brothers 18, foreign sisters 89, native sisters 8, catechists 9. Churches: 33. Elementary schools: 24, secondary schools: 3, vocational schools: 1, higher schools: 2. Hospitals: 4. Two periodicals are published there, and various pious associations and Catholic Action groups flourish.

BIBL.: MC, 1950, p. 167; Arch. di Prop. Fide, Relazione, pos. prot. n. 5149/50; The Catholic Directory of South Africa 1951, Cape Town 1951, pp. 177-83; AAS, 21 (1929), pp. 585-86; 40 (1948), pp. 441-42; 43 (1951), pp. 257-63. Saverio Paventi