S., although he wrote others, is remembered for a single novel: *John Ingelssant* (1860), which projected the religious problems debated in the author’s time by the promoters of the “Oxford Movement” into a Europe

(from E. O. Hoppl, *L’Angleterre*, Berlin 1927, pl. 119)
SHREWSBURY, DIOCESE OF. - Remains of Wenlock Abbey (1080).
The River Severn was part of the diocese of Hereford. In 1541 King Henry VIII erected the schismatic diocese of Chester, which became Catholic under the Catholic Queen Mary (1553–58). Occasionally, for example for several years from 1075, the bishop of Coventry and Lichfield had transferred his see to Chester. From 1688 until 1840 Shropshire was included in the Midland District and Cheshire in the Northern District. From 1840 to 1850 Shropshire formed part of the Central District and Cheshire of that of Lancashire.
In the persecution, Shropshire gave the Church 3 martyrs, namely the Blesseds R. Johnson (1582), R. Martin, Jacob, and E. Campion, both in 1588, and Cheshire 6, the Blesseds John Shert (1582), Ralph Crockett, Thomas Holford and Robert Wilcox (all in 1588) and the Venerable John Sandys (1586). Many families remained faithful, for example those of Plowden, Berington, Clough and Blount. Also worthy of mention is the distinguished jurist and confessor Edmund Plowden (1517–84), who under Elizabeth refused the office of chancellor because he openly professed the Catholic faith.
The diocese is rich in historical monuments, such as the churches (now Protestant) of St. Mary in Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Church Stretton, Acton Burnell, Clun, Nantwich, St. Werburgh (Cathedral) and St. John in Chester, Malpas and many others, including the monastic ruins of Buildwas (1135, Cistercian), Wenlock (1080, Cluniac), Haughmond and Lilleshall (12th cent., Augustinian) with others minor. At Wenlock St. Milburga founded as early as the 8th century a convent, which was destroyed by the Danes in 874. At Sandbach and Cheshire there are two Anglo-Saxon stone crosses. At Acton Burnell in Shropshire the English Benedictines from Douai found refuge and hospitality from 1795 until 1814, when they moved to Downside.
**
Enrico E. G. Rope