CANELOS, PREFETTURA APOSTOLICA DI

CANELOS, APOSTOLIC PREFECTURE OF. — The mission of St Joseph of C. in the Republic of Ecuador was founded in 1624 by the Dominican Fathers, who two centuries later, because of government hostility, had to abandon their undertakings and withdraw to avoid serious persecution.

They returned in 1827, seeking to revive religious life among the small Christian communities, which had meanwhile lapsed. From 1869 the Jesuits of the New Kingdom (Nato) worked there, but were later compelled to leave the territory for political reasons. In 1886 the mission was entrusted once more to the Dominican Fathers and erected into an apostolic prefecture. In 1929 the parish of Macas was joined to it, detached from the diocese of Riobamba, of which the Dominicans already had spiritual care; a year later this parish was aggregated to the apostolic vicariate of Mendez and Gualaquiza.

The mission covers an area of 98,000 sq. km.; the population amounts to 17,000 inhabitants, of whom 11,000 are Catholics, 280 Protestants and the rest pagans.

There are 7 Dominican Fathers and an equal number of lay brothers at work there. There are three schools with 211 pupils, and 12 churches.

BIBL.: AAS, 22 (1930), pp. 480-80; GM, p. 313; MC, p. 65; archive of Propaganda Fide, Prospectus status missionum, 1948, pos. prot. n. 2770/48. Antonio Mazza