FIGLIE POVERE DI SAN GIUSEPPE CA-LASANZIO (Florence). — On 24 June 1889 the Bishop of Siena, Msgr. Zini, a Piarist, clothed the first five poor Calasanctian sisters, entrusting them with the mission of educating poor girls, and the Cardinal Archbishop of Florence officially approved them.
Well then, the decree of praise was granted in 1910; the following year the Institute was approved, and only provisionally its constitutions, which were definitively approved on 28 February 1920.
Their specific aim is the Christian education and instruction of girls, especially the poor, according to the spirit and method of Calasanz.
In 1946 they had 30 houses with 180 sisters.