TORORO, ARCHDIOCESE OF. - It is situated in the southeastern part of Uganda, to the north of Lake Victoria, and is entrusted to the Mill Hill Missionary Society (Society of St. Joseph of Mill Hill) for Foreign Missions.
The territory was erected on 13 July 1894 under the name of the Apostolic Vicariate of Upper Nile by division of the Apostolic Vicariate of Victoria Nyanza, with a very extensive territory, which was subsequently reduced with the creation of new missions. On 13 May 1948, the Apostolic Vicariate of Kampala was detached from it, and the seat of the Apostolic Vicariate of Upper Nile was transferred to Tororo, a locality whose name was adopted on 10 May 1951 as the new designation of the thus reduced Apostolic Vicariate of Upper Nile. On 25 March 1953, it became an archdiocese; it now has a surface area of 23,953 sq. km. and a population of approximately 1,100,000 inhabitants, of whom 231,140 are indigenous Catholics, 500 foreign Catholics, 17,630 catechumens, approximately 120,000 Protestants, 30,000 Muslims, and 860,000 pagans. It comprises 26 parishes, served by 83 secular priests, of whom 7 are indigenous, and 103 sisters, of whom 20 are indigenous; and for the time being, a minor seminary.