The territory originally belonged to the Archdiocese of Sydney, then it was included in the Diocese of Goulburn, from which it was separated on 28 July
1917. It takes its name from the city of W
W. (a name which in the language of the aborigines, now extinct, means “crow”), seat of the Ordinary.It has an area of 70,000 sq. km. with 100,000 inhabitants, of whom 24,000 are Catholics and the rest Protestants. There are 21 parishes, 63 churches, 41 priests, 215 sisters, 34 schools and colleges, 2 hospitals, and 1 orphanage.
BIBL.: AAS, 9 (1917), pp. 424-25; MC, 1950, pp. 458-59; Australasian Cath. Directory 1952, Sydney 1952, pp. 216-22. Saverio Paventi