ALESSIO, DIOCESI DI

Image from page 500
Image from page 500
Image from page 500
Image from page 500

ALESSIO, DIOCESE OF. - The Turkish invasion transformed this very ancient Albanian diocese (14th century) into a true missionary territory. As early as 1240, the Franciscans possessed a convent there. Pastoral care then passed to the secular clergy. When the Franciscans returned in 1634, they settled especially in the northern part. The Franciscan mission, governed by a superior with the faculties of an apostolic prefect granted by the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda Fide, became a regular province in 1906. It was formerly a suffragan of Antivari, then of Scutari (22 April 1887).

Territory: 280 sq. km.; total population: 10,315, of whom 9,750 Catholics, including 2,200 foreigners; Muslims: 560 (census of 1941). There was an elementary school (155 pupils), run by the Daughters of Charity.

BIBL.: Guida delle Missioni Cattoliche, Rome 1935, p. 351, col. 2; Leoni XIII PP. Acta, VII, Rome 1888, pp. 72-73; MC, p. 8.