CAPODISTRIA. - A small town a few kilometers from Trieste; in antiquity it was also designated by the name of Giustinopoli. According to some suppositions, it would have been the seat of a bishopric around the middle of the 6th century. The chronicler Andrea Dandolo (14th century) records the names of two bishops for the middle of the 8th century, but he is a very suspect source. It was Alexander III who, in Venice in 1177, decided the establishment of the bishopric, which included the territories subject to Venice in that region between Trieste and Cittanova; the bishopric was juridically constituted only on 5 July 1186; it lasted until 30 June 1828, when Leo XII united it *aequo principaliter* with the see of Trieste, an union that was made effective on 21 March 1830. It depended on the patriarchate of Aquileia until 1751.
CAPODISTRIA
BIBL.: Ughelli, V. pp. 381-82; Fr. Babudri, Cronologia dei vescovi di Capodistria, in Archeografo triestino, 33 (1909), pp. 173-74; Lanzoni, II, pp. 861-62; P. F. Kehr, Italia Pontificia, VII, II, Berlin 1930, pp. 215-25; P. Paschini, Storia del Friuli, Udine 1934; L. Jadin, s. V. in DHG, XI (1949), cols. 878-86. Pio Paschini