CATHOLIC CHURCH EXTENSION SOCIETY

CATHOLIC CHURCH EXTENSION SOCIETY. — Its purpose is to promote missions and missionary schools in the United States of America and their dependent territories.

The society was established in 1905 in Chicago and on 7 June 1907 was approved by Pius X in a letter to Abp. J. E. Quigley, Archbishop of Chicago. By the brief of 9 June 1910 it received the title of Pontifical.

It is directed by a “Board of Governors,” composed of all the resident archbishops of the United States, 12 bishops, 12 priests, and 12 laymen. In addition to the general aims indicated, the Society assists in the construction of chapels and churches, supports priests and seminarians with scholarships, and publishes a monthly periodical, “Extension Magazine.”

BIBL.: W. D. O'Brien, The C. C. E. S., in The Apostolate Mission, New York 1942, pp. 125-32. Saverio Paventi