FIGLIE DELLA CROCE (SAINT-BRIEUC)

FIGLIE DELLA CROCE (Saint-Brieuc). - The origin of this Congregation dates back to St. Francis de Sales, who in 1619 arranged in Paris with Madame Marie l'Huillier de Villeneuve the establishment of an association specifically aimed at the education of young women through boarding schools, hostels, retreat work, catechism instruction, etc. He himself drew up the first constitutions, which are preserved in Guingamp. However, the Congregation only acquired legal status in 1642, also with the assistance of St. Vincent de Paul. Despite many difficulties, the work spread to several dioceses, especially in St-Brieuc, where, after the Revolution, it had its central house.

On 22 November 1853, the Holy See granted the decree of praise, and the constitutions, initially approved by Bishop Saintland, received definitive apostolic approval on 15 January 1935. In 1948, the Institute had 9 houses and 220 professed members.

BIBL.: M. Heinbuchner, Die Orden und Konzeptionen der katholischen Kirche, II. Paderborn 1934, p. 248; Archivio S. Congr. dei Religiosi, P. 3. Giulio Mandelli