FIGLIE DELLA CROCE (PALERMO)

DAUGHTERS OF THE CROSS (Palermo). — Founded by Fr Nunzio Russo of Palermo, the Institute was canonically erected by the Bishop of Cefalù in 1893, but in 1924, at the wish of the Archbishop of Palermo, the generalate was transferred to this city. The decree of praise is dated 17 July 1932, together with temporary approval of the constitutions.

The nature of the Institute is that of several societies of persons living in common without vows; after the novitiate the sisters make a promise of perseverance in the Institute for a period of three years and then in perpetuity. They are divided into two classes: the teachers and the helpers. They promote among the people, and especially in the most neglected parishes, religious instruction for the young and the practice of first Communions; as well as the Christian and civic education of young women through schools, boarding houses, workhouses, assistance to poor churches and help to parish priests in ethical instruction and in promoting attendance at the Sacraments and liturgical assistance at Holy Mass. There are about 300 sisters in 40 houses.

BIBL.: Archivio S. Congr. dei Religiosi, P. 99. Agostino Pugliese