It is the ancient "Castellum Tididitanum," located 40 km from Constantine. It is now a titular see. The earliest known bishop is Lambadius in 411; Abundius in 484. Near the Mithraeum, a small Christian basilica and a baptistery have been discovered, the latter having a basin surrounded by four columns, hence called the "basin of the four columns." In the midst of the pagan necropolis, Christian burials have been found, including one with an inscription in verse; terracotta lamps with Christian symbols and a silver ring inscribed with the letter "E" and the wish "in Deo vivas" have also been recovered.
TIDDIS
BIBL.: S. Gsell, Atlas archéol., pl. 17, no. 89; J. Mesnage, Afrique chrét., Paris 1912, pp. 315 and 434; A. Berthier, T. Castellum Tididitanum, Algiers 1951. Enrico Josi