BAHR EL-GHAZAL, APOSTOLIC VICARIATE OF. — A vicariate since 1917, previously a prefecture from 1913 through division from Khartoum (q.v.), this mission, directed by the Verona Fathers of the African Missions, today comprises the southern part of Sudan, between the Bahr el-Arab and the Bahr el-Gebel, excluding however the Upper Nile Province. The area covers 300,000 sq. km., with a population of 592,000 inhabitants of various tribes, among which the principal are the Dinka, pastoralists, and the Azande (or Niam-Niam), agriculturalists. Besides these two predominant groups, there are other smaller tribes, including the Jur, the Belanda, the Bongo, the Kresh, and the Ndogo. The predominant religion is animism in the south and east, while among the north-western tribes it is strongly Arabized animism. At its creation, the mission was much larger than it is today, also including the Mongalla Province, the Upper Nile, and northern Uganda.
The first missionary activity took place in the two centers of Wau in the north and Gulu in the south; the former was particularly resistant, even hostile, due to the preponderance of Islam (the station was burned down twice), while the latter was more receptive. However, at Wau the perseverance and enterprise of the mission, especially in the educational sector, overcame the environment, and in the south the apostolate developed in a most encouraging manner. Around the central residence (Wau), with the station of Kayango, the Golo and Ndogo are evangelized; with that of Kajok, the Dinka; with those of Demziber and Ring, the Kresh; the station of Mbili attempts to reach the Jur, who are difficult; and that of Yubu-Camp the Azande; for the Madi, further to the east, Palaro is opened, and among the Belanda the village of freedom (Raffili) is founded for freed slaves. In Yubu, in 1930, a normal school was opened for the training of catechists of all races.

In the south and south-east, in the more properly Nilotic region of northern Uganda, the apostolate achieved easier and more rapid results; the center of diffusion was the station of Gulu, among the Acioli, where a school of arts and crafts was opened, followed by a normal school for catechists (1919). Other stations in this sector, often opened amid strong Protestant opposition, were those of Ngal among the Aluro, Kitgum among the Acioli and the Baganda, Moyo among the Madi, Arna among the Loguara, Torit among the Letuko, and Rejaf among the Bari. In 1922, this entire zone, much more promising than that of the north, was detached from the vicariate to form the new prefecture (now vicariate) of the Equatorial Nile (q.v.). In 1932, the mission began publishing a small newspaper (*The Messenger*) for Catholic civil servants in the three southern provinces of Sudan and the elementary school teachers of the mission stations; in 1934, a seminary was opened.
As of the latest report (1948), the vicariate has 40 Fathers, plus 3 indigenous priests, 20 brothers, and 41 sisters (Pie Madri della Nigrizia, since 1919); the mission employs 402 catechists (male and female) and 275 teachers (male and female). There are 103 elementary schools with 5,934 pupils, 1 middle school with 118 pupils, and 5 vocational schools with 98 apprentices. Charitable works include 13 dispensaries, 6 orphanages, 2 homes for the elderly, and 3 small leper hospitals. The number of Catholics is 38,387.
**