MINIME OF OUR LADY OF SUFFRAGE. — As early as 2 February 1859, Count Francesco Faà di Bruno (q.v.), then a simple layman and professor at the University of Turin, destined his considerable fortune for a complex of charitable works in favour of women. At first he entrusted them to pious young ladies; but, realizing that the work would not be stable, he began to form a religious congregation and was able to see the first vestments in 1881 (Turin).
The decree of praise was issued on 30 April 1940, with temporary approval of the Constitutions, which were definitively approved on 28 June 1948.
The specific purpose of the Institute is to pray for the souls in Purgatory, to educate young women in kindergartens, schools, boarding houses, colleges, and to assist in catechesis, in parish oratories and other parish works. In 1949 the sisters numbered 213, with 19 novices, distributed across 25 houses.