ONDO, DIOCESE OF. - Located in the south-eastern part of Nigeria. Evangelization of the territory began in 1913 through the work of the Fathers of the Society of African Missions. The first residence of the missionaries was established in 1916.
On 12 January 1943, through the division of the then vicariates of the Coast of Benin (now the archdiocese of Lagos) and of Western Nigeria (now the diocese of Benin City), the apostolic vicariate of O. Illorin was erected and entrusted to the same Society. On 18 April 1950, with the establishment of the episcopal hierarchy in British West Africa, it was raised to the status of a diocese, under the name of O., a suffragan of Lagos.
The territory (68,000 sq. km.) is inhabited by the large Yoruba tribe. According to 1950 statistical data: population ca. 1,000,000; Catholics ca. 30,000 with 583 catechumens; Protestants ca. 250,000 (established in the area long before the Catholics and with ca. 550 schools); Muslims ca. 200,000; pagans over 330,000. Native priests 3, foreign priests 28; foreign nuns 3; catechists 29; teachers 542; major seminarians 1, minor seminarians 5; principal mission stations 12, secondary ones 15; churches 12; chapels 144. Elementary schools 109. An inter-diocesan school for the training of teachers is located in Lagos. There is as yet no properly organized Catholic Action, the diocese being still in the early stages of its development.