BENEDICTINE MISSIONARY NUNS OF TUTZING. - Fr. Andrew Amrhein, founder of the Congregation of the Benedictines of Sankt Ottilien for foreign missions, welcomed the first sisters to Reichenbach in 1885 to collaborate with the Fathers in the missions. In 1887 the foundation moved to Sankt Ottilien, and in 1904 to Tutzing, the present motherhouse of the Congregation. In 1924 the Institute obtained the *decretum laudis*; in 1934 the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda, on which the sisters depend, approved the Constitutions.
The sisters work in the missions entrusted to the Benedictines of Sankt Ottilien (East Africa, South Africa, Korea) and also have priority in Brazil, the Philippines, Bulgaria, and the United States of America. During the indigenous rebellions of 1889 and 1905 in East Africa, 3 sisters were killed. The Congregation numbers 1,953 religious, of whom 1,032 are professed, and 21 novices.