CARIATI, DIOCESE OF. — Cariati is a small town on the Ionian coast, between the Punta di Fiume Freddo and Capo Trionto in the province of Cosenza. As a diocese, it was founded in 1438 by Eugenius IV at the request of Princess Covella Ruffo Marzano. It arose united *aeque principaliter* with the ancient church of Cerenzia, whose existence dates back much earlier. Indeed, it is attested in the *Diatiposi* of Leo VI the Philosopher (866–911) as a suffragan of S. Severina. Due to its proximity to S. Giovanni in Fiore, seat of the Florense archicenobium, it frequently appears in the diplomas of the Florense Congregation of the 12th and 13th centuries. Among its bishops are remembered the Blessed Polcronio, a Basilian monk who founded the monastery of S. Maria di Altilia, known as Calabro Maria; the Blessed Bernardo, a Cistercian contemporary of Joachim of Fiore; and the Blessed Matteo Vitari, a disciple of the same Joachim and his first successor in the governance of the Florense Congregation. However, in the 15th century it was in a state of severe decline, so much so that it eventually gave way to Cariati.
The new diocese, erroneously identified by Barrio with the Carini mentioned by St. Gregory the Great, was unsuccessfully claimed by Rossano, within whose territory it lay; it was declared a suffragan of S. Severina.
In 1543 Cariati was attacked by the Turks, and its bishop, Giovanni Carmuto, was deported into slavery in Algiers. In 1561 its bishop was Alessandro Crivelli, who later became nuncio to Spain and a cardinal. From 1602 to 1619 it was governed by Filippo Gesualdi of Castrovillari, who for nine years had been minister general of the Conventuals.
In 1818 the diocese of Cariati was enlarged with the territories of the suppressed dioceses of Cerenzia, Umbriatico, and Strogoli, and remained the sole suffragan of S. Severina. Within its territory lies Cirò, birthplace of Luigi and Antonio Giglio, whose fame is tied to the reform of the Gregorian calendar.
Cariati has an area of 860.75 sq. km.; it has 30 parishes with 34 diocesan priests and 50,021 inhabitants (1948).
---
CARILLON. — Perhaps from Late Latin *quadrilo* (a set of four bells). A carillon is a set of bells, generally small, tuned to a scale; used since around 2000 in Flanders and northern Germany, then in England, it was very fashionable around the 15th century.
The bells, grouped in a small space, are struck externally; precise sounds and short melodies are thus obtained. If large, the carillon is operated by a mechanical device; if small, it is played with a keyboard struck by hammers. When a keyboard and pedalboard were added, a true literature of original compositions began. Belgium in particular had families of famous carillon builders and virtuosos, among whom the organist Mattia van den Gheiden is most celebrated. The cathedrals of Bruges, Mechelen, Tournai, and Leuven still boast carillons of world renown. The Chinese considered an ancient instrument, similar to our carillon, the *pien-chun*, as early as the time of Confucius. The orchestral carillon consists of very small bells, is keyboard-operated, and produces bright, cheerful sounds. The celesta is a carillon of metal plates with even softer sonority. Some large harmonium organs are equipped with stops imitating the celesta’s sonority.
For art, see *Campana*.
Anna Maria Gentili
---
CARINI, LUCA. — Architect, born in Rome in 1830, died 14 Dec. 1890. He practiced extensively in Rome, both in ecclesiastical and civil architecture, drawing on medieval and Renaissance motifs which he succeeded in harmonizing and blending with taste and elegance, though his eclecticism did not always rise to personal distinction.
Of limited interest are the overly ornate façade of the church of S. Chiara and the more graceful one of S. Ivo dei Brettoni; of greater interest are the Canadian College, with its broad courtyard in Brunelleschian style opening onto the street; the church with the adjoining monastery of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny; the convent of the Little Sisters of the Poor at S. Pietro in Vincoli; and the church of S. Antonio in Via Merulana, with the adjoining generalate of the Franciscans. Among his civil buildings, the best known is the Palazzo Brancaccio, built posthumously from his designs.
Guicciello Matthiae
---
CARINI. — A city in Sicily, 27 km from Palermo, it is thought to be the Carini to which Gregory the Great refers as a bishopric (Jaffé-Wattenbach, 1389, 1880, 1881). In 595, upon the death of its incumbent, the Pope united the small church of Carini to that of Reggio, then governed by Boniface. By 602 the union had been dissolved, and Carini had its own bishop, named Barbaro, appointed visitor of Palermo.
---
CARINI, ISIDORO. — Priest, paleographer, and historian, born in Palermo on 7 Jan. 1845, died in Rome on 25 May 1895. Ordained in 1868, he devoted himself with passion to paleographic and historical research on Christianity, the papacy, and Italy, which characterized his work as an investigator and scholar. He took part in the founding of the *Archivio storico siciliano* and the Sicilian Society of National History (1872), taught paleography and diplomatics at the State Archives of Palermo, collected a large body of documents in Barcelona for the sixth centenary of the Sicilian Vespers, and in 1885 was called to Rome by Leo XIII, who held him in high esteem. He subsequently became canon of St. Peter’s, sub-archivist of the Holy See, consultant to the Cardinal Commission for Historical Studies, professor of paleography and diplomatics at the Vatican School, and finally prefect of the Vatican Library, distinguished by important discoveries made and published from those inexhaustible archives.
The friendship already nurtured by the Pope for Carini’s father, General Giacinto Carini, and the circumstance of having been held at the baptismal font by Francesco Crispi made him a natural and spontaneous intermediary in the contacts that Leo XIII maintained with
The latter, when from 15 December 1893 he resumed the office of President of the Council, was instrumental in resolving the bitter dispute over the granting of exequatur to no fewer than 17 bishops, including the bishop of Mantua, who was appointed Patriarch of Venice and was later to become Pius X. An apostolic prefecture was established at Keren, and during Crispi’s frequent visits to the Gregorian Street residence of the C., protracted negotiations began in 1894 for the famous attempt to resolve the Roman Question. The sudden and untimely death of the C. seems to have been hastened by the fiercest attacks levelled against him by those opposed to his work, who sought to strike at him in connection with a theft of precious codices that had just occurred in the Vatican Library. A member of numerous academies and a contributor to many newspapers and journals, the C. was the author, among other works, of De rebus Regni Siciliae (Palermo 1882) and Gli archivi e le biblioteche di Spagna in rapporto alla storia d'Italia in generale e della Sicilia in particolare (2 vols., ibid. 1884), as well as a volume on the Accademia dell’Arcadia.